Chemical Peel Vs Facial | Why to opt for chemical peels?
Having a beautiful, glowing skin falls under everybody’s checklist. Thorough beauty routines, investing in skincare products, and undergoing various dermatological and cosmetic procedures have become a common norm. In a country like Nepal, where pollution and other factors naturally take a big toll on the skin – chemical peel has emerged as an effective solution that everybody is running after. In western countries, this remedy is already very popularized. It’s no wonder that its benefits are being noticed in Nepal as well and also chemical peel is better than a regular facial.
Along with its popularity, the chemical peel has also attracted many myths. Many people seem to confuse it as being equivalent to facials. When in fact, the differences are drastic- from their results, the time required, to the effectiveness.
Since facials have been popularized and require a good investment, there is a general assumption that it is a magical treatment and can do wonders for the skin. However, a hefty price tag doesn’t mean its effectiveness or safety is guaranteed.
In this article, we break down how a chemical peel is better than a regular parlor facial, and help you choose the best!
What is a facial?
Facials are designed to clean only the outer layer of your skin. The results obtained are short-lasting, surficial, and have no proven effect. They are not effective for deep rejuvenation or revitalization of the skin. They also do not help in treating skin conditions like melasma, breakouts, scars, wrinkles, or spots.
What is a chemical peel?
A chemical peel is a sophisticated technique used to improve the appearance of the skin on the face, neck or hands. It is a popular method which exfoliates and removes the dead skin cells. The main advantage of a chemical peel is that it goes deeper than the outer level of the skin, and improves the skin from the inside.
Chemical peels enable your body to recreate new skin at a faster rate than usual. The new skin formation technique also promotes the skin to become more toned and firm. These can dramatically reduce the appearance of the fine lines and wrinkles that you see on your face. The new, regenerated skin is smoother, clearer, and less wrinkled than the old skin.
According to the type of your skin, chemical peels can be of different types. A skincare professional will identify the skin type and suggest the best type for maximum results. Due to the differences in these peels, they are generally effective for most skin types and ages.
Differences between a facial and chemical peel
Now that we know what these are, let’s see how chemical peels are better than facials.
- Medical Consultation: A chemical peel is done by a certified professional who checks your skin type and condition before doing the process. This makes the process a lot safer. It also ensures that you get the maximum benefits out of the process, and get the best effect for your type of skin. However, before a parlor facial, no specific medical counsel is provided. Therefore, the associated skin risks are higher.
- Results: Facials are temporary fixes for topical problems on the skin, and have no effect on improving the skin. Chemical peels, on the other hand, offer a wide range of benefits against:
a) Dull/tired-looking skin
- b) Fine lines and wrinkles
d) Hyper-pigmentation or dark spots
e) Age Spots
- Effects: Facials are designed to work on only the outer layer of the skin. Parlor facials do not have any medically approved results. Whereas, chemical peels work from cellular layers of the skin to revive it from within. It has been identified and promoted by doctors all over the world.
- Time: Parlor facials have results that short-lasting, and require an appointment every week/fifteen days. Whereas, chemical peels provide results that stay for a much longer time.
Depending upon the type, the results can stay from anywhere between a few months to years.
A light chemical peel generally lasts from 1 to 2 months. It is also called a glycolic peel. After a few sessions get over, you can schedule a maintenance or “lunchtime” peels only as needed.
A medium peel is stronger than a light one. It can last for a year or more.
Phenol chemical peels are the deepest kind of chemical peel. According to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, it can sometimes last as long as 20 years and have quite dramatic results.
In a nutshell, Chemical peels are better than a regular facial, a much more effective and safer solution to solve all kinds of skin-related concerns. In order to obtain long-lasting results from deeper layers, and get a youthful, glowing, and radiant skin, chemical peels are the way to go!
What are your thoughts on chemical peels and facials? Let us know in the comment section below!
Folliderm offers quality skin and hair care treatments, including chemical peels for all skin types and ages. Book an appointment now, and get flawless skin today!